Once upon a time, in the not-so-distant past, I made broccoli cheese soup.
It was a disaster.
I’m not sure what went wrong, but it was inedible. Usually, even if dishes don’t turn out that great, we still suffer through so we don’t waste food. But this… this abomination of broccoli cheese soup will probably go down in history as the worst thing that I have ever made.
Since that day, I have stayed away from making broccoli cheese soup. Even though I love it so and my heart pines for it, I refused to try to make it ever again.
…Until now. As I’m entering my last few weeks of pregnancy, I’m trying to prepare for bringing the baby home. One way I’m prepping is to make a bunch freezer meals so I won’t have to worry about cooking for a while.
I came across this recipe for a healthy broccoli cheese soup and decided to overcome my fear and go for it!
It came out fantastic! In fact, it was so good that we ate all of it before I could get it into the freezer! So then I made a double batch so we could eat it and freeze it!
I am so happy with this soup. It’s so easy and it is so good! Hope you enjoy it as much as me!
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, dice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c of butter
1/4 c of All-Purpose flour
1 c milk (I used Almond Cashew)
3 c vegetable broth
3 c broccoli (apxr 1 head), chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 c carrots, diced (I used pre sliced carrots and roughly chopped them)
½ tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 c cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large pot, heat the butter until it starts to melt.
- Add the flour and whisk constantly for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the vegetable broth and milk, continuing to whisk the mixture.
- Once combined, turn heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 min.
- Meanwhile, add olive oil to saucepan for medium heat.
- Add onion and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another minute. Remove from heat if finished before flour/butter mixture is done simmering.
- Once the flour/butter mixture is done simmering, add broccoli, carrots, and cooked onion/garlic.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Simmer for another 20-25 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Using a handheld immersion blender, puree about half of the soup. (If you don’t have a handheld blender, blend half the soup in a blender). You can also blend more or less depending on how chunky you like your soup.
- Add the cheese and stir until combined.
- Serve and enjoy! You can add some shredded cheese on top if desired!
To freeze: Once cooled place in the either a freezer ready plastic container or freezer bag.
To serve: Place in fridge to thaw about 24 hours before eating. Reheat either on stovetop or in a microwavable container in microwave until heated through.