As I’m entering my last few weeks of pregnancy, I’m prepping for bringing the baby home and for my postpartum recovery. I have read that these padsicles are a necessity, so I wanted to make up a bunch to throw in my freezer to help ease my recovery as much as possible.
These are really easy to make and are essentially ice packs for your postpartum lady area. In the hospital, they should offer you ice packs to keep the swelling down after birth.
However, padsicles are extra special! Witch Hazel helps reduce swelling, helps repair broken skin, and naturally fights bacteria. Aloe also helps with swelling, cools, and soothes skin.
You can also add essential oils to the pads like lavender, however, I have had reactions to lavender in lotions and detergents in the past, so I didn’t want to take a risk especially postpartum.
- Pads: I used 2 different kinds – Always heavy, overnight, really thick pads (in the purple) and Always Infinity overnight pads (in the yellow)
- Witch Hazel *Alcohol free*
- Aloe gel
- Gallon freezer bag
- Carefully open a pad.
- Remove paper over wings.
- Pour a tablespoon of Witch Hazel over the pad. *If adding essential oil, add a few drops now
- Use a tablespoon of aloe and spread over pad. (Eventually I just eyeballed the amounts).
- Fold wings back in and replace paper.
- Fold pad back up.
- Place into freezer bag and into freezer.
- Take out one at a time to use as pads. Let that for 2-3 minutes before placing on skin.
Disclaimer: This post uses affiliate links for products that I have used, purchased, or love.