Peanut Butter Blossoms have always been (one) of my favorite cookies. So after I made these Red Velvet Peanut Butter Blossoms, I felt compelled to make a batch of the original just, you know, to compare the two recipes.
One of my most vivid memories as a child is heading to my great aunt’s house for Christmas. It was always held in the basement where everyone chatted, drank, listened to Christmas music, and played games while I stalked the cookie tray.
As soon as we descended the stairs to the basement, I would lock my eyes on the cookie tray. I would count how many Peanut Butter Blossoms there were and how many times I would need to circle the dessert table to devour them. Being a good child, I didn’t want to eat them all at once. So I had to make frequent trips to the cookie table the entire night to ensure I ate all the Peanut Butter Blossoms I could handle!
As an adult, they are still one of my favorite cookies and I don’t make them very often because, just like when I was a child, I will literally eat them all.
My one complaint about this cookie is that it is hard to eat with a Hershey Kiss in the middle. Do you eat the Kiss first? Do you eat around it and save it for last? Or do you just dig in and hope you don’t have chocolate smeared all over your pearly whites?
I was ecstatic when I found mini Hershey Kisses! Not only is it easier to eat, but you can enjoy some chocolate with every bite because you don’t get to just add one Kiss to each cookie, but three! Three kisses to every cookie!
But here’s what I will say… I still love the original, but after making these Red Velvet Peanut Butter Blossoms, I actually like the Red Velvet cookie better. It seems softer, more decadent and it’s a really beautiful cookie!
Peanut Butter Blossoms (with mini Kisses)
Yields about 48 cookies
½ c softened butter
¾ c creamy peanut butter
⅓ c sugar
⅓ c brown sugar
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ c flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
⅓ c sugar for rolling
1 bag of Hershey’s Mini Kisses
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix butter and peanut butter in large bowl until blended. Add sugar and sugar, mix until fluffy. Add egg, milk, and vanilla, mix well. Add flour, baking soda, salt and slowly mix into peanut butter mixture. *Side note: best if using a hand or stand mixer, but can be mixed by hand.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in additional sugar and place on ungreased cookie sheet. *Side note: if dough is not sticking enough to roll into balls, chill in refrigerator for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Immediately press 3 mini Hershey Kisses into center of each cookie. Edges will crack.
- Allow to cool on wire rack.