My husband and I don’t really celebrate Valentine’s Day. We have too many other anniversaries to celebrate. We will usually spend the day together, maybe throw a quick “Happy V-day around.” But nothing out of the ordinary.
However, I wanted to make a special Valentine’s Day treat because… well, I’m pregnant and I need cookies. So really they were for myself and not for my husband!
I have always loved Peanut Butter Blossom cookies, but they are often hard to eat because of the giant Hershey Kiss in the middle. Do you try and bite into the Kiss or do you just eat the whole thing at once? Either way you are going have issues. You either get chocolate all over your teeth, so this becomes a cookie you only eat in the privacy of your own home or you are stuck eating most of the cookie without any chocolate. Not cool.
So I was ecstatic when I wandered down the baking aisle and found MINI Hershey Kisses!
My husband dislikes Peanut Butter Blossoms for the exact reasons I pointed out earlier, so he wasn’t too excited when he discovered what I was making. But do not fear my friend! I have a surprise up my sleeve! Actually, three surprises! Three mini Kisses!
It made the cookies so much for enjoyable and I will never make a Peanut Butter Blossom with regular Kisses again!
Now this recipe is extra special. It is made for Valentine’s Day. It is a Red Velvet Peanut Butter Blossom and it is beautiful!
You can find the original recipe from I Am Baker. I have changed it slightly, in that, I am not a fancy baker so I have adjusted the recipe to make it a little easier. Also, I don’t have a stand mixer or even a hand mixer (I have no idea where the arms went…) so I mixed everything by hand and it came out perfect!
I did run out of red decorating sugar for the last few cookies, so I used regular white sugar. They don’t have the same kind of dazzle, more like a muted pink, but they looked pretty mixed in with the red cookies.
Red Velvet Peanut Butter Blossoms
Yields about 40 cookies
1 bag Hershey’s Kisses (or mini Kisses)
½ c (1 stick) butter, room temperature or softened
¾ c peanut butter
1 ⅓ c sugar
2 tbsp milk (I use almond cashew milk)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp red food coloring
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ c all purpose flour
pinch of salt
¼ c red decorating sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Mix softened butter, peanut butter and sugar until blended
- Add egg, milk, vanilla and red food coloring, mix until light and fluffy
- Add cocoa, flour, baking soda and salt, slowly mix until combined
- Pour red decorating sugar onto small plate or bowl
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and roll ball in sugar until covered
- Place on cookie sheet 2 inches apart
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges start to crack
- Once cookies are removed from oven place one Hershey’s Kiss (or 3 mini Kisses) into the center of each cookie
- Allow cookies to cool and try not eat them all!!