Today I am bringing you a recipe from my mom’s cookbook. Growing up, my mom cooked everything in the microwave. We had this giant microwave that you could literally fit a whole turkey inside… It took up so much space on the counter and sounded like an airplane taking off in our kitchen. My mom claimed it lived to be a ripe age of 25 years old.
This particular recipe can be made in the oven or microwave, but to be honest, I’ve never had it or made it in the oven.
I usually try to stay away from foods that have a lot of preservatives or foods that aren’t “real,” but when you have a recipe like this, sometimes you just have to. Someday I might try and make it more healthy, but for now, when I’m remembering my mom and her Thanksgiving’s, this is the dish.
This was her signature dish. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Trees ‘n Cheese
- 8 oz. jar Cheese Whiz
- 1 can mushroom soup
- ½ c. chopped onions
- ½ c. chopped celery
- ½ c. melted butter
- ½ c. Minute Rice
- 20 oz. chopped frozen broccoli
- Melt butter
- Mix all ingredients together
- Spread into a greased baking dish (any size will work)
- Cover and bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes
Option 2: (Easier and my mom’s preferred way)
- Melt butter in a casserole dish/microwavable dish
- Add all other ingredients, mix well
- Cover and microwave on high for 17 minutes