I’m just going to say it. I hate cauliflower. I don’t like the smell or the taste or the texture. I don’t even really like the color. I don’t know why, but I’ve always had an aversion to cauliflower.
But my husband loves it. He is a really good vegetarian because he loves all vegetables. Me? I’m like a child… I have to hide vegetables in the food I make so I will eat them. Fruit I could eat all day, but vegetables… I’m pretty picky.
So to ensure I am getting enough veggies and to please my husband, I make recipes that I love and replace unhealthy items with veggies. Like this lovely Cauliflower Mac and Cheese!
Truthfully, when I first started making this recipe, I thought I was going to hate it… Because, I mean, how could you replace cauliflower with delicious macaroni and it taste good?
I will tell you that I honestly can’t even tell that the cauliflower is there. This dish is so good that it has really opened my eyes (and mouth) to other cauliflower dishes like cauliflower mashed potatoes and cauliflower alfredo sauce.
I have made this as a side for regular dinners as well as Thanksgiving dinner.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
1 head cauliflower
1 c milk (can use cow milk, but I use almond or cashew milk)
1/4 c cream cheese
1 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 c plain Greek yogurt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
3 tbsp melted butter
2/3 c Panko bread crumbs
1/4 c. grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut cauliflower into small pieces (florets and stems) and place in a casserole dish.
- Roast cauliflower 15-20 minutes, until the edges are turning brown and it is easily pierced with a fork.
- While cauliflower is roasting, put the milk, cream cheese and shredded cheddar into a saucepan on medium high.
- Slowly whisk cheese as it melts until well mixed. Add yogurt to thicken.
- Stir in garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Remove roasted cauliflower from oven and pour cheese sauce over cauliflower.
- Combine melted butter, breadcrumbs and parmesan. Spread on top of the cauliflower.
- Roast uncovered for 15-20 minutes until crumbs and golden brown and cheese is bubbling.