I have thing for rice. Or noodles. Whichever. I love them.
Or bread. Or potatoes. Maybe I actually just have thing for carbs?
My husband thinks I am such a weirdo, but I could literally sit down and eat a whole bowl of rice/noodles and butter. Super unhealthy, but super delicious!
So anytime I can add rice to a meal, I’m all for it! A yummy, easy Spanish rice recipe is perfect for Mexican dishes! This dish is so easy and I almost always have all of the ingredients just sitting in my pantry!
This could probably be made into a complete dish with some beans… hmmm… Maybe that recipe will be coming soon!
Anyway, this dish can be made in about 30 minutes. The most difficult part of this recipe is adding the rice straight to the skillet. I had never done that to rice before and the first time I made this I was really nervous!
But don’t be nervous! It will be okay! Just let the rice cook in the skillet until it is becoming translucent or a little brown, but not burned. It is better to add the vegetable broth early than burn the rice.
You can also choose to make this rice as spicy or mild as you want! I usually prefer on the more mild side, so I usually have mild salsa. But if you like it spicy, add some hot salsa to kick up the flavor!
Quick Cheesy Spanish Rice
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp chopped onion
1 ½ c uncooked white rice
2 c vegetable broth
1 c chunky salsa
½ c shredded cheese
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cooked until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Mix rice into skillet, stirring often.
- When rice begins to brown/become translucent (but not burned), stir in vegetable broth and salsa.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes until liquid has been absorbed and rice is fluffy.
- Turn off heat and add cheese. Cover until cheese is melted.